Green Card & U.S. Citizenship

Green Card & U.S. Citizenship

Green Card and US Citizenship

Green Card through Family

You may be eligible to get a Green Card as:

an immediate relative of a U.S. citizenthis includes spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21, and parents of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older

a family member of a U.S. citizen fitting into a preference categorythis includes unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21, married children of any age, and brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older

a family member of a green card holderthis includes spouses and unmarried children of the sponsoring green card holder

a member of a special categorythis can include battered spouse or child (VAWA), a K nonimmigrant, a person born to a foreign diplomat in the United States, a V nonimmigrant or a widow(er) of a U.S. Citizen

Green Card through a Job

The main options to immigrate based on a job offer or employment are the following:

A Job OfferYou may be eligible to become a permanent resident based on an offer of permanent employment in the United States. Most categories require an employer to get a labor certification and then file a Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, for you.

InvestmentGreen cards may be available to investors/entrepreneurs who are making an investment in an enterprise that creates new U.S. jobs.

Self-PetitionSome immigrant categories allow you to file for yourself (“self-petition”). This option is available for either “Aliens of Extraordinary Ability” or certain individuals granted a National Interest Waiver.

Special Categories of JobsThere are a number of specialized jobs that may allow you to get a green card based on a past or current job, such as:

Afghan/Iraqi Translator


International Organization Employee

Iraqi Who Assisted the U.S. Government

NATO-6 Nonimmigrant

Panama Canal Employee

Physician National Interest Waiver

Religious Worker

Green Card through Refugees or Asylees Status

Other ways to obtain a Green Card

Diversity Immigrant Visa Program (referred to by many as the ‘Green Card Lottery’)

K Nonimmigrant (includes fiancé(e))

Legal Immigration Family Equity (LIFE) Act

Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) Status


A person may become a U.S. Citizen in one of three ways: birth, blood, or naturalization.

Bocancea Law Firm has extensive experience with these types of cases. Ruslan Bocancea is licensed in Minnesota, and authorized to represent clients before all immigration authorities, including courts, USCIS, ICE, CBP and U.S. Embassies.